Giving Day is March 11!
Dear Alumni of Cornell Economics,
The tools and insights of economics are critical to developing a better understanding of the world around us and to the productivity of a workforce that is increasingly skill-dependent. The value of strong economics training has never been higher for our students and for society.
Meaningful Ways To Give:
Undergraduate and Graduate Education
"My A&S Economics degree, particularly the training it offered me in the area of quantitative economics and statistics, has equipped me with the skills and know-how necessary to provide critical analysis on key topics of interest to Singapore in order to provide data-driven recommendations. This, of course, is important in ensuring that we employ the right strategies and policies in creating economic prosperity for fellow Singaporeans, and I am thankful that my Economics background has allowed me to work in an agency generating significant social impact."
-Kevin Goh '19, Senior Associate, Singapore Economic Development Board
Your Donation Could Help Fund the Following:
- A 15 week research project during the academic year, allowing an economics major to conduct research under supervision of a faculty member
- More summer student research experiences
- Data sets or subject payments for a student's economics honor thesis
- Graduation awards at commencement
Your Gift Could Also Help Us Continue to Support:
- T.W.I.P.S. - "The Works in Progress Seminar" which allows economics graduate students to present their research in an informal setting to other members of the graduate community
- An interview specialist for Ph.D. students on the market
- Graduate student travel to present research at conferences
- Our math review course for new Ph.D. students, allowing them to better prepare for classes
- Weekly Coffee & Conversation events in the undergraduate lounge, giving students an opportunity to socialize with one another, faculty, and staff
Supporting Our Faculty
This continues to be an exciting time as we hire additional faculty and finalize our plans to expand the department. Last year we welcomed two outstanding new professors, this summer we will welcome three top-notch junior faculty and a Klarman Fellow, and next academic year we will expand the department with the addition of over a dozen superb faculty from the department of Policy Analysis and Management. Although there will be many new faces in the years to come, our commitment to being at the forefront of research and teaching will not change.
Your Generous Gift Could Support:
- The recruitment of innovative faculty
- Retention efforts to keep top-notch economists at Cornell
- A research assistant for a faculty member
Much of what we are able to do in the Department of Economics is due to the generous support of alumni. Your contributions help us to continue to support our faculty, students and staff as well as to engage in new and exciting initiatives that will enhance the quality of the programs we offer.
Thank you for supporting Cornell Economics!
Donald C. Opatrny '74 Chair of the Economics Department