You are here
Senior Research Associate
Dr. Lars Vilhuber has an undergraduate degree in Economics from Universität Bonn, Germany, and a Ph.D. in Economics from Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada. He has worked in both research and government. He has consulted with government and statistical agencies in Canada and the United States.
His interest in statistical disclosure limitation issues is a consequence of his other research interest: working with highly detailed longitudinally linked data to analyze the effects and causes of mass layoffs, worker mobility, and the dynamics of the local labor market.
He is presently on the faculty of the Department of Economics at Cornell University, a Senior Research Associate at the ILR School at Cornell University, Ithaca, Executive Director of ILR’s Labor Dynamics Institute, and affiliated with the U.S. Census Bureau (Center for Economic Studies, CES).
Over the years, he has also gained extensive expertise on the data needs of economists and other social scientists, having been involved in the creation and maintenance of several data systems designed with analysis, publication, replicability, and maintenance of large-scale code bases in mind.
Dr. Vilhuber currently conducts research on using and making available highly detailed longitudinally linked data to analyze the effects and causes of mass layoffs, worker mobility, and the dynamics of (local) labor markets. These data are generally subject to severe access restrictions. In order to make such data available to other researchers, Dr. Vilhuber also conducts research on statistical disclosure limitation issues, including the creation and dissemination of synthetic data, and investigates novel methods and tools to disseminate metadata on such data. He is currently Principal Investigator on numerous grants, including grants that fund activities at the NSF-Census Research Network (NCRN) node at Cornell University. He is the lead Principal Investigator on the NCRN Coordinating Office.
- Lars Vilhuber, Jörg Drechsler. 2014. A first step towards a German SynLBD: Constructing a German Longitudinal Business Database, Statistical Journal of the IAOS . 30(2):137-142. (DOI:10.3233/SJI-140812)
- Lars Vilhuber, Jarmin Miranda. 2014. Looking back on three years of using the Synthetic LBD Beta , Statistical Journal of the IAOS . 30(2):123-127. (DOI:10.3233/SJI-140811)
- Carl Lagoze, William C Block, Jeremy Williams, John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2013. Data Management of Confidential Data, International Journal of Digital Curation . 8(1):265-278. (DOI:10.2218/ijdc.v8i1.259)
- John Abowd, Matthew J Schneider, Lars Vilhuber. 2013. Differential Privacy Applications to Bayesian and Linear Mixed Model Estimation, Journal of Privacy and Confidentiality . 5(1):Art. 4.
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber, William C Block. 2012. A Proposed Solution to the Archiving and Curation of Confidential Scientific Inputs, Privacy in Statistical Databases . LNCS 7556:216–225. (DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-33627-0_17)
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2012. Did the Housing Price Bubble Clobber Local Labor Markets When It Burst?, American Economic Review . 102(3):589-93. (DOI:10.1257/aer.102.3.589)
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd. 2011. Science, Confidentiality, and the Public Interest , Chance . 24(3):5.
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2011. National Estimates of Gross Employment and Job Flows from the Quarterly Workforce Indicators with Demographic and Industry Detail, Journal of Econometrics . 161:82-99.
- Lars Vilhuber, Julie Cloutier. 2008. Procedural justice criteria in salary determination, Journal of Managerial Psychology . 23(6). (DOI:10.1108/02683940810894765)
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2005. The Sensitivity of Economic Statistics to Coding Errors in Personal Identifiers, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics . 23(2):133-152.
- Lars Vilhuber, Harry Holzer, Julia Lane. 2004. Escaping poverty for low-wage workers: The role of employer characteristics and changes, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 57(4):560-578.(DOI:10.2307/4126683)
- Lars Vilhuber, David N Margolis, Véronique Simonnet. 2001. Early Career Experiences and Later Career Outcomes: Comparing the United States, France and Germany, Quarterly Journal of Economic Research . 70(1):31-38.
- Lars Vilhuber. 2001. La spécificité de la formation en milieu de travail: un survol des contributions théoriques et empiriques récentes, L’Actualité économique, Revue d’analyse économique . 77(1).
- Lars Vilhuber. 1999. Continuous Training and Sectoral Mobility in Germany, Evidence from the 90s, Quarterly Journal of Economic Research . (2).
- Lars Vilhuber. 2009. Adjusting imperfect data: Overview and case studies. in Wage Structure, Raises and Mobility: International Comparisons of the Structure of Wages Within and Across Firms. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Edward P Lazear, Kathryn L Shaw.
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd, Fredrik Andersson, Kevin L McKinney, Marc Roemer, Bryce E Stephens, Simon Woodcock. 2009. The LEHD Infrastructure Files and the Creation of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators. in Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Timothy Dunne, J Bradford Jensen, Mark J Roberts.
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd, Kevin L McKinney. 2009. The link between human capital, mass layoffs, and firm deaths. in Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Timothy Dunne, J Bradford Jensen, Mark J Roberts.
- Lars Vilhuber, Lisa Dragoset. 2008. How Did Universal Primary Education Affect Returns to Education and Labor Market Participation in Uganda. in Youth in Africa’s Labor Market. Washington, DC, United States: World Bank, 2008. Marito Garcia, Jean Farès.
- Lars Vilhuber, David N Margolis, Erik Plug, Véronique Simonnet. 2004. Early Career Experiences and Later Career Outcomes: An International Comparison. in Human Capital Over The Life Cycle - A European Perspective. London, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar, 2004. Catherine Sofer. (90-117)
- Samuel Haney, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, John Abowd, Matthew Graham, Mark Kutzbach, Lars Vilhuber. 2017. Utility Cost of Formal Privacy for Releasing National Employer-Employee Statistics. SIGMOD 2017, 2017. (Accepted)
- Lars Vilhuber, Jörg Drechsler. 2014. Synthetic Longitudinal Business Databases for International Comparisons. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2014. Domingo-Ferrer, Josep .
- Lars Vilhuber, Javier Miranda. 2014. Using Partially Synthetic Data to Replace Suppression in the Business Dynamics Statistics: Early Results. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2014. Domingo-Ferrer, Josep .
- Lars Vilhuber, Carl Lagoze, Jeremy Williams. 2013. Encoding Provenance Metadata for Social Science Datasets. in Communications in Computer and Information Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer LNCS Proceedings, 2013. xx. (12)(Accepted)
- John Abowd, Kaj Gittings, Kevin L. McKinney, Bryce E. Stephens, Lars Vilhuber, Simon Woodcock. 2012. Dynamically Consistent Noise Infusion and Partially Synthetic Data As Confidentiality Protection Measures for Related Time-series. in 2012 Research Conference. Washington, DC, United States: Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, 2012. (40)
- Lars Vilhuber, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, Daniel Kifer, John Abowd, Johannes Gehrke. 2008. Privacy: Theory Meets Practice on the Map. International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 2008.
- John Abowd, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, Daniel Kifer, Johannes Gehrke, Lars Vilhuber. 2008. Privacy: Theory Meets Practice on the Map. International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 2008. (277-286)
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd. 2008. How Protective Are Synthetic Data. in Privacy in Statistical Databases: Proceedings of the UNESCO Chair in Data Privacy International Conference PSD2008. Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2008. (239-246)
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Lars Vilhuber