Resources & Forms
You are here
Requirements for Admission to the Economics Major Updated
After a department review of the requirements for admission to the economics major, the faculty have voted to update the grade requirements for students who matriculate at Cornell after June 1, 2017.
Before applying for admission to the Economics Major, students must complete:
- ECON 1110 and ECON 1120 (or equivalents), with grades of B- or better and
- MATH 1110 (or equivalent), with a grade of C or better.
Credits for ECON 1110, ECON 1120 and Math 1110 must be shown on your Cornell University Transcript. There are no exceptions to these rules. Once these requirements are met, students can click here to apply to the major.
Students who matriculated at Cornell before June 1, 2017 who wish to declare the major, will be held the original grade requirements of C or better for ECON 1110, ECON 1120 and MATH 1110 (or equivalents).
If you have any questions about the requirement update, please email Prof. George Jakubson, Director of Undergraduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contacts & Office Hours
Spring Office Hours (Starting Jan. 21)
|Prof. George Jakubson:||
All welcome at any, subject to priority
• Monday: 10:00-11:30am, Ives 257 (ILRLE 2400 advising has priority)
• Tuesday: 1:30-2:30pm, Uris 426 (DUS advising has priority)
• Tuesday: 2:30-3:30pm, Uris 426 (no priority)
|Prof. Jennifer Wissink:||
• Monday: 11:30am-12:30pm, Uris 468
• Wednesday: 11:30am-12:30pm, Uris 468
Major, Minor, and Transfer Credit Forms
Course of Study & Forbidden Overlaps
Policy on Full Economics Courses
What to know if you are unable to add a course during pre-enrollment, due to it being full:
- There is no “one size fits all” for this situation.
- Typically you will be asked to wait until the Add/Drop period for that particular semester to open, and then you can try to enroll again.
- If you are still unable to add the course yourself using the online system during the Add/Drop period for that particular semester, keep trying! Due to course shopping, the enrollments in economics courses fluctuate quite a bit at the start of each semester.
- Ask the course instructor for his/her policy on getting into the particular course, and follow his/her instructions if there are any.
- If the course instructor gives you permission to join the class, you should present the instructor with a completed paper add/drop form for their initials and then you bring this form to the Main Office of the Economics Department (404 Uris Hall) for an official stamp. Your instructor can also email his/her approval of your add to both you and to Ulrike Kroeller, Undergraduate Assistant for the Economics Department, at email@example.com. You still need to bring a completed paper add/drop form to the main office for an official stamp.
- Note that staff members will not stamp your form without the initialed paper add/drop form or a printed copy of the instructor’s email approval.
- After getting the official department stamp on your paper add/drop form, you turn your form in to the Registrar’s office of your College. For College of Arts &Sciences students, this is located in Klarman Hall, Room G17.
- For Gateway Courses (Econ 1110 and Econ 1120) especially, consider taking the course in a future semester, winter term, or over the summer. Many options are available. The Director of Undergraduate studies can advise on this. Also see: https://economics.cornell.edu/major#policy-for-intro-course-credit.