Congratulations to our 2023 Economics Graduates!
Please read on for more information about the timing for the Department of Economics Commencement Ceremony and how to proceed to the stage to receive your faux diploma. Official diplomas will be mailed to students in early June.
Economics Ceremony Date and Timing:
Saturday, May 27, 2023
Check-In Starts: 3:45pm
Ceremony Starts: 4:30pm
Economics Ceremony Location:
Bartels Hall, Ramin Room
For information about Commencement Weekend click here.
Click here for more Ph.D. and M.A. graduation information from the Graduate School.
R.S.V.P. for the Economics Ceremony:
All graduating students should R.S.V.P. for the Economics Commencement Ceremony via the survey link sent to you on April 19. If you did not receive a survey link, please contact Brooke Musmacker, Economics Undergraduate Experience Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
After the Schoellkopf Field Ceremony:
After the festivities in Schoellkopf Field, please head directly across the street to Bartels Hall. If you or any of your guests have a yellow pass for mobility reasons, they will be given instructions in advance for driving from the Hoy Parking Garage to a parking lot adjacent to Bartels Hall. Please make sure that someone in your family has requested an accessibility plan for special seating and parking accommodations if any of your guests have any mobility needs.
Most guests will park in the A-Lot or B-Lot and ride the free shuttle buses to Schoellkopf Stadium. However, the buses will stop running loops at 5:00pm. After 5:00pm, free TCAT buses will service central campus. If you anticipate walking to the A- or B-Lots after the Economics Commencement Ceremony, consider renting a wheelchair for guests who may need one. For more information about parking, click here. For more information about renting wheelchairs, click here.
Once you arrive at Bartels Hall, proceed to the check-in table that corresponds with the first letter of your last name to get your graduation index card. KEEP THIS CARD WITH YOU! The card identifies you for our photographers and lists your name pronunciation. Enter the Ramin Room and enjoy some light refreshments. Find your seat number, and be seated by 4:25pm. The ceremony will start promptly at 4:30pm.
Ph.D. and M.A. Student Check-In:
Once you arrive at Bartels Hall, proceed to the Information Table to get your graduation index card. KEEP THIS CARD WITH YOU! The card identifies you for our photographers and lists your name pronunciation. Enter the Ramin Room and enjoy some light refreshments. Find your seat number, and be seated by 4:25pm. The ceremony will start promptly at 4:30pm.
General Order of Events:
- Graduation Message
- Awarding of Diplomas for Graduate Students
- Awarding of Undergraduate Prizes
- Awarding of Diplomas for Undergraduate Students
- Closing Remarks
There will be a graduation message. Make sure to listen for facts about your class - some of them might sound familiar.
Awarding of Undergraduate Prizes:
If you have been notified that you are receiving an Economics Prize (congratulations!), please locate your seat then line up on the left-hand side of the stage area before the ceremony begins. A graduation marshal (wearing a red t-shirt) will be there to greet you. There will be a few welcoming words, and then a faculty member will come onstage to announce the prizes. Please proceed to the stage, receive your prize, and then stand on the risers for a group photo of all the prize-winners. Once the photographer has taken the photos, walk back to your seat.
Awarding of Diplomas:
Graduate students will be announced first; then undergraduate students. Click here to see the Ramin Room Layout.
- A Graduation Marshal will motion your row to stand and proceed to the left-hand side of the stage. Make sure you have your name index card ready to give to the graduation marshal. You will need to file out quickly towards the stage and stay in line.
- As your row lines up, a graduation marshal will take your graduation name index card. The graduation marshal will deliver your index card to Prof. Jakubson.
- A photographer will take a quick snapshot of you before/as your name is called.
- Prof. Jakubson will call your name, and you will proceed across the stage to receive your certificate from a faculty member who will shake your hand (your diploma will be mailed to you in June). While this happens, a photographer will take a candid photo of you.
- After you cross the stage, you will be directed toward the back of the room to the last photograph opportunity. This staged studio shot will allow you to hold your certificate (and smile) in front of a background and floral arrangement.
- You will then immediately walk back down the aisle to take your seat. Marshals will help guide you down the path. All guests will remain seated until the last person crosses the stage.
Once everyone has been recognized, there will be very brief final remarks. After a final round of applause, the program will end around 5:45pm.
We ask that guests wait until after the ceremony has ended to move about and take photos. After the ceremony, feel free to use the risers or the backdrop/floral arrangements for photos.
Guests will be seated in the second, third, and last seating sections from the North side of the Ramin Room. The first section is assigned seating for faculty and graduates. Seating will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you or one of your guests needs a seating accommodation (e.g. space for a wheelchair or an aisle seat), please let us know as soon as possible. You can communicate seating needs via the commencement survey or by emailing Brooke Musmacker, Economics Undergraduate Experience Coordinator at email@example.com. Spaces will be reserved near the front of the fourth section of seats, on the inside aisle, for guests with special mobility needs.
You will be emailed a link from GradImages to your Cornell email address a few days after the ceremony to view your photos and make purchases.
Thanks for attending the Economics Commencement Ceremony! We are so proud of your hard work and dedication! This summer, you will receive your first alumni edition of Ezranomics from the Economics Department. Please stay in touch via our Facebook Page, Twitter Page, and LinkedIn Group.
Please email Brooke Musmacker at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns about the ceremony or your survey.